Saturday, August 4, 2012

Day 1 Fold Forming Conference with Charles Lewton-Brain

Wow! We packed a LOT into one day, my body is exhausted, but my brain is in creative overdrive. For those unfamiliar with FF, here's a brief overview:

"Charles Lewton-Brain is credited with inventing fold forming, a metalsmithing technique recognized the world over as the only new, original innovation in metal working in millennia. Fold forming uses the metal's flexibility to make complex forms resembling chased, constructed and soldered shapes. You can rapidly achieve results in three to five minutes from single sheets of metal! The tools are simple: fingers, hammers, mallets, anvil, vise and rolling mill."

Our morning began with a lecture on the basics and terminology of FF, a review of the latest applications in industry and art, an overview of tools and how to modify them, and a quick discussion on intentional design. We also looked at slides showing the similarities and links between the organic nature of FF and actual designs that occur in nature. Fascinating!

Charles then spent several hours explaining and demonstration basic folds before turning us loose to "play". Here are his samples and a few of my pieces....














8 comments:

  1. Very cool technique. The samples, especially the last spiral, are amazing! Nice work from you as well Eva!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GO GIRL.What a lucky lady.I am so happy for you that you can do what I want to do when I grow up.Love and hugs Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a fantastic workshop! Your work is great. I'm really interested in fold forming so I'm excited to see what you've learned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those pod like square pieces! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks friends, my brain is still reeling but I hope to get in the studio soon and start experimenting with some new metals techniques!

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will be published upon moderation.