Sunday, April 15, 2012

Philly Bead Fest

I've been attending the Philly Bead Fest for 6 years now; as student, a vendor, an instructor and of coarse, always a shopper! My best find this year? THE most comprehensive book on jewelry making I think I've ever seen; in addition to covering the basics (soldering, riveting, texturing, etc.) it provides info you might not find outside a college level fine arts program. Want to know about marrying metals? It's in there. Reticulation? In there. Electroforming? Well, you get the idea. Seriously, the best $40 I spent all weekend.

This was also the first year I taught classes. I had 5 students for "Scribble Cuffs and Doodle Rings" and 10 for "Textured Copper Cuffs". Both went smoothly, I didn't forget any required tools or materials (being an obsessive list maker has it's upside), and all the students left on time and with finished projects. Whew....


Earlier this year I hooked up with Gina Galli of the Jewelry Making Professor and arranged to shoot some videos at their studio in Philly. This is me, on the set. And yes, I am a jewelry nerd......

And the icing on the cake? I got to spend some time with my Dad! :-)