Monday, January 16, 2012

So you want to be a serious artist?

I believe everyone is creative. If you're fortunate, you find your medium while you're young and have a lifetime to pursue and perfect it, but it's never too late to start. I was well in my middle years when I began playing with beads as a way to spend time with my daughters.  But those tiny wearable works of art, handmade by me, bought so much creative satisfaction, I became infatuated! Within a year, I traded in my architectural career and opened a bead shop. Don't tell anyone, but the shop was just an excuse to surround myself with jewelry making materials, creative friends, and build a serious studio.

Early on I received great advice from a talented and established artist that has served me well in my evolution as a jewelry artist. For the past 2 years, I have consistently put these principles in practice and can now testify to their validity. Whatever your medium, apply these principals and I guarantee you will be taken seriously as an artist!

1) Build a body of work.
2) Put it out there.
3) Never stop learning.
4) Start teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be published upon moderation.